The following is an index of links
of early photos of El Paso, Illinois, owned by Merlin Haas, El Paso, Illinois.
These photos are a mixture of houses, businesses, people, and other interesting
pictures from El Paso's early days.
These photos were compiled by George E. Drake and are presented here digitally with the help of Carl Drake, Allen Drake and Joel Dudley, all of El Paso, Illinois. Funding for this page is provided by Heartland Bank & Trust Company.
Please click this link if you desire to go back to the El Paso, Illinois, Community History Homepage.
Otherwise, please enjoy the following
photos of El Paso history.
Pic# Link Name Description
|1||St. Mary's||This is of the newly constructed St. Mary's Catholic Church. Notice the streetlight and old Catholic school.|
|Adam Henning home at 197 N. Elm Street. To
the right is part of the frame Christian Church.
|Isaac Cannon home at 15 E. Second Street.|
|J.F. Bosworth home at the N.E. corner of
Summit and Main Streets.
|This is the David Evans home. It was located at
495 E. Third Street.
|This was the J. Taylor Bonar home. It is
located at 398 N. Cherry Street.
|This was the home of Robert J. Evans. It was replaced by another home at 204 E. Third Street.|
|8||E. P. Journal staff||This is a picture inside the El Paso Journal's office, showing several people and equipment.|
W. H. McClellan
John F. Shepard
|This was the home of W.H. McClellan. It was located
at 375 W. Jefferson Street. 2nd house built in El Paso.
|10||Thos. J. Hurd
|This was the Thomas J. Hurd home about a mile
N.E. of El Paso.
|This was the home of Levi F. Smith. It was located at the NE corner of Summit and Lincoln streets.|
|This was the Presbyterian Manse at 335 E.
|13||Geo. Curtiss in office||This was George Curtiss in his newspaper office which currently is used by the El Paso Telephone Co.|
|14||E.P. Journal staff||This is a 1932 picture of the El Paso Journal staff, including equipment.|
|This was the Spencer M. Ferrell home at 301 E.
Rev. W.V. Jeffries
|This was the Baptist parsonage at Fourth and
Cherry Streets. It was torn down in 1912.
|17||James H. Wathen||This was the James H. Wathen home. For many years it has been used by the Elms, first as a motel and later as a fine restaurant.|
|18||E.P. Journal staff||This is a 1905 picture of the El Paso Journal staff outside their office building.|
|19||Front Street w/buggies||Notice the George Burster store in the background.|
|20||Hendren Bldg.||1895 picture of downtown, notice the unfinished water tower and the Hendren Building.|
Dr. A.C. King
|This was the home of A.O. Shur on the N.E.
corner of First and Grant Streets.
|22||German Evan. Church||This was the German Evangelical Church at the
N.W. corner of Pine and Second Streets.
|23||Methodist Church||The original frame Methodist Church located at Second and Chestnut Streets. It was torn down in1894.|
|24||Methodist Church||This was the brick Methodist Church building that was built in 1894 which burned on May 12,1895.|
Com. Bible Fellowship
|This was the Beshers Factory on 12/4/1924. It is now the home
the Community Bible Fellowship Church.
|26||Grand Opera House||This is inside the Grand Opera House which
was located at the N.W. corner of Front and Cherry Streets.
|27||Eagle Block remains||This picture, dated July 20, 1894, shows the remains of the Eagle Block building after a devastating fire.|
|28||Hendren block/ 1895||1895 picture of downtown El Paso, please note the street light that
is hanging above the intersection.
|29||Christian Church||This was the second church building erected by the Christian Church in El Paso, located at the S.E. corner of First and Elm Streets.|
|30||Mrs. Celicia Boner
Dr. A.C. King
Tegard Nursing Home
|This was the Celicia Boner home at 469 E.
First Street. It later became Tobein Nursing
|31||Geo. L. Gibson
|This was the home of George L. Gibson, located in the center of Elmwood Court at the end of First Street. It currently is being used as an apartment building.|
|This was the home of James Thompson at
274 S. Sycamore Street.
|33||E.P. Journal staff||This is a 1900 picture of the El Paso Journal editorial staff, taken outside of their office building.|
|This was the Dr. F.A. Stubblefield home at 11 W. First Street.
This picture shows a liveryman holding Dr. Stubblefield's
team of horses.
|This was the home of Richard C. Springgate at
102 E. First Street.
|This was the home of William Burroughs who
lived a few miles north of El Paso.
|This was the home of J.B. Michels at 328 W. Main Street.
Charles McHugh later lived here.
|38||Frank B. Stitt
|This is Frank B. Stitt inside his office at the First National Bank -- before its 1920 remodeling.|
|39||inside E.P. Journal plant||This picture was taken inside the El Paso Journal's printing plant -- showing several people, printing presses, and old lights.|
|40||Inside W.C.N.Bank||This picture shows 3 workers inside the Woodford County National Bank|
|41||Aerial View||This picture shows an aerial view of the intersection of what is
now Rt. 24 and Rt. 251 in 1938, including surrounding businesses.
|42||Baptist Church||This was the frame Baptist Church built in 1864
where the present Baptist Church now stands.
|43||Presbyterian Church||This picture shows the old frame Presbyterian church that was built in 1864, located at 135 E. Second Street.|
|44||Campbell House||This shows the Campbell House crossing on Front Street in about 1910.|
|This shows the El Paso Journal's temporary headquarters -- in an old creamery building on Main Street -- following a fire in 1894. Four people are pictured.|
C. Gilbert Coffman
|This was the S.H. North home at the
N.E. corner of Third and Chestnut Streets in 1896.
|47||Stella Patton (Schlink)
Silas D. Patton
|This picture shows some post office personnel and pigeon holes used for sorting mail.|
|48||Silas D. Patton
Stella Patton (Schlink)
|This picture shows the lobby of a post office together with Silas D. Patton and his assistant, Stella Patton (Schlink).|
|This was the home of A.S. McKinney in 1896. It was built by Dr. Stockwell.|